Published On:May 27 2016
Story Viewed 33619 Times
CM to perform bhoomi puja for KC Valley project on May 30
Chief Minister Siddaramaiah will lay the foundation stone for the Koramangala-Chellaghatta Valley (KC Valley) project in Kolar on May 30. The programme will be held at Narasapura as the tank in the village is the first tank to receive treated sewage water from the project.
The project entails treating sewage water flowing from KC Valley and filling some tanks in Kolar and Chickballapur districts.
Some sections of the people and the permanent irrigation struggle committee activists are opposed to the project on the grounds that it is not good for the health of the people as they are already suffering from diseases due to fluoride and arsenic content in the water in the region. However, the government is keen on implementing the project following a loud cry for solving the water shortage problem in the region.
Deputy Commissioner K.V. Thrilokchandra conducted a preparatory meeting of district-level officers in view of the Chief Minister’s tour.
Mr. Siddaramiah is also slated to inaugurate and lay the foundation to many other projects of the district on the occasion.
• The KC Valley project intends to treat 400 million litres of wastewater.
• The treated water will be supplied to tanks and lakes through pipelines.
• It is planned to fill up 140 lakes and tanks in Kolar and Chickballapur districts.
• Estimated cost of the project is Rs. 900 crore.
• The treated water filled in the tanks is expected to help recharge the groundwater level which collapsed to more than 1200 ft.